[c-nsp] inter-as multicast

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Nov 4 00:32:55 EDT 2010

On Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:33:49 am Good One wrote:

> We have a BGP inter-as peering with one of our service
> provider over a sub-interface of a point to point link.
> And now we want to run PIM (between us and service
> provider) using a different sub-interface over a same
> point to point link. Someone told me that PIM is an
> intra-as protocol and can't be run between service
> provider. Now the question is .. what if we get a /30
> IP-Address (keeping in mind that /30 belongs to service
> provider AS and they can see it in their IGP table) from
> the upstream provider and run PIM over it and then you
> can have a static IGMP join on your own router so that
> our own AS-IPs can get the multicast.

We do this with an IPTv partner that use our network to send
video to their customers.

We peer with them via BGP so that they learn the routes we
assign to the STB's. We then also run PIM on the point-to-
point interface with them so we can learn Multicast
information.

That said, we're not running regular PIM-based Multicast.
We're doing Juniper's NG-MVPN infrastructure. But from an
interconnect scenario with a different routing domain, it's
the same.

Cheers,

Mark.