[c-nsp] inter-as multicast

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Thu Nov 4 04:20:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

Merging PIM domains between different networks is not the best idea
(unless on either side it's a VPN providing services to the other
side...)

In multicast you need to worry about a few points:
- RPF paths to the sources have to follow the right multicast path
- You need to be able to signal which groups you want to join for
- You need to learn the sources (unless using PIM-SSM)

A few relevant references:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/Phase_1/
mcstmsdp.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t7/feature/guide/mbgp.html