[c-nsp] Looking for router recommendation to handle 10GE

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Nov 7 15:50:48 EST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 02:21:19PM -0600, scott owens wrote:
> Don't know your traffic flows so ...
>
> A 6504 with a Sup32 -10 is a pretty efficient little box.
> put in a secondary sup card and you have 4 x 10 Gb all active at the same
> time
> get a 12 port GBIC based line card and you can do any flavor of GigE you
> want as well.

This would work.  Just keep in mind that the Sup32 CPU is slooowwww, even
for a Cisco router.  Don't do large amounts of BGP there (it won't handle
full tables anyway, no -XL tcam, but even if you keep the number of prefixes
at a "safe" limit, too many updates might be painful).

> or use regular sup32s and a 6704 line card which I think will handle around
> 32 or 33 Gb total.

If I understand the architecture correctly, this won't work - the 6704 is
fabric-only and the Sup32 has no fabric.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de