[c-nsp] Looking for router recommendation to handle 10GE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Nov 7 22:31:51 EST 2010

> > From: Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il>
> > To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net

> > I am looking for a router (not switch) recommendation
> > (upgrade from 7204VXR).  Have considered the ASR1004
> > but a bit too expensive.  Need now 2 ports of 10GigE
> > and 4 ports of 1GE with the ability to add in the
> > future 2 more 10GigE ports and 4 more 1GE ports.  What
> > would you recommend?

The ASR1002 might work if you spread your risk across 2
chassis', and is dense enough for your requirements but is
fairly border-line. If you need even more expansion yet, you
could get caught out. Needless to say, it'll only support a
10Gbps ESP today. There's no indication, now, that the new
40Gbps (or even the existing 20Gbps) ESP will be supported.

If you're finding the ASR1004 expensive, chances are
anything larger won't be in favour either. In this case, I'd
probably suggest Juniper's MX80. You can get decent 1Gbps
and 10Gbps port density out of it. The only problem will be
whether you're keen on considering Juniper, let alone a
different vendor.

Cheers,

Mark.