[c-nsp] MPLS Issue

Steven Saner ssaner at pantheranet.com
Tue Nov 9 10:59:28 EST 2010

Hi all:

I am admittedly fairly new to MPLS configurations. I am using it to
establish some VPNs between several routers. I am trying to turn up
MPLS between two routers that are currently in production with
standard IP routing with OSPF and BGP.

    Router ---- MPLS ---- Router ------------ Router ---- MPLS ----
Router

All of the routers are 7200 VXR routers. MPLS is running between the
"left" two routers and the "right" two routers. When I try to turn
MPLS on between the middle two routers, all existing traffic stops
between them. This is a DS-3 link and I am simply adding the following
to the serial interfaces:

mpls ip
mpls label protocol ldp

As soon as I add these options on both sides, both routers report to
syslog that LDP Neighbor x.x.x.x is UP. But normal traffic stops. I
can no longer ping things from one side to the other. Is this to be
expected? Is there some synchronization that needs to take place? How
long should that be?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steve

Steven Saner