[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

Jiri Prochazka jiri.prochazka at superhosting.cz
Thu Nov 11 07:47:06 EST 2010

Hi,

my experience is not sticky concerning only OIR, but may be interresting for
someone.

We had a 'new' (used, actually) 7606E, with Sup720-3CXL, X6724-SFP, and
X6704-10GE.

After boot, one of PSU's failed and X6704-10GE refused to boot because of
low power. Both PSU's were 2700W.

This was weird enough me to start thinking of some backplane failure.

Then redemptive idea came to my mind.. To try non booting X6704-10GE in our
production box (7606 as well).

Viola, as soon as I inserted that card to slot, router rebooted with one PSU
failed :).

After this reboot (with X6704-10GE pulled of the router) I inserted xenpak
(vendor PROLABS) from this 'faulty' card to another 10GE card in that box..
and that card turned off, with note FRU-POWER FAILED.

Then I did a few tests with this transceiver and everytime I inserted it to
some 10GE card it rebooted  the card either whole box.

Have you ever seen such behaviour? I'm thinking of this xenpak as ideal gift
for my worst enemy :-).

Kind regards,

Jiri