[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Thu Nov 11 13:28:46 EST 2010

Yes the LC bus is isolated but in async mode the BFD packet must still be sent to the RP CPU and all BFD packets are generated from the RP CPU. 6500/7600 do not support distributed BFD like CRS and GSR where LC CPU handles BFD.

I assume that you were considering scenario where BFD in echo mode can still echo BFD back out where ingress LC is DFC, which it can. However, if you are not generating BFD out for far side to echo or cannot punt the echo to RP CPU on return BFD will still drop.

There are a number of closed DDTS related to this and other protocols running tight timers dropping during OIR due to buss stall and not only on SUP32 or CFC scenario.

-Ben