[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Thu Nov 11 12:52:05 EST 2010

I think the issue is more complicated then just does it work or not.  It is dependent on how you have your 6500/7600 deployed.

Some form of bus-stalls will occur with any OIR.  They may be minor, they may not and that comes down to how long it takes for the shared bus to re-stabilize because you just changed it's physical properties.  It is a shared bus after-all...

Those of us that have some CFC or even non-fabric cards in the mix, bus-stalls will impact the one way you have to get packets (or just headers) off the LC's and to the PFC.  Bad things can ensue.  Move traffic before hand...  :)

Those of us that have all DFC, well the bus really isn't doing much to begin with so a stall is nominally a non-visable event.

I do have to question Ben's comments about a stall killing interrupts.  At least on the Sup720 the LC-bus is isolated from the backplane bus and so I can't see why the LC-bus would stall too (and experience shows that it's a non-event).  If we are talking about Sup32's or Sup2's without fabrics, the LC-bus is bridged to the backplane bus, so stalls will be visible.

David