[c-nsp] Are multicast MAC addresses allowed in the source field?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Nov 15 05:47:40 EST 2010

man, 15 11 2010 kl. 10:29 +0000, skrev Tomas Daniska:

> it's not only ARP reply that takes into account when talking
> operability of such solutions.

> At one particular case, we had been hit hard with this clustering
> method. Over the time, everything worked as the old switches were
> slightly lax on RFP compliance. After upgrading to a 3C[XL] system, we
> have experienced the packet with multicast source MAC were getting
> dropped under some circumstances in hardware.

> Clearly a Microsoft way of doing things - let's bend the standard, let
> it spread, and then let the end users beat those who do comply.

Microsoft were by far not the first to do this, and I still believe that
it is a brilliant solution to a difficult problem, even though we do not
use it.

It is highly worrying if the 6500/7600 breaks this for layer 2 traffic.
If we provide an EoMPLS link to a customer, it better be transparent.
Support for this will definitely go into our next requirements document.

/Benny