[c-nsp] Are multicast MAC addresses allowed in the source field?

Tomas Daniska Tomas.Daniska at soitron.com
Mon Nov 15 05:29:23 EST 2010

Benny,

it's not only ARP reply that takes into account when talking operability of such solutions.

At one particular case, we had been hit hard with this clustering method. Over the time, everything worked as the old switches were slightly lax on RFP compliance. After upgrading to a 3C[XL] system, we have experienced the packet with multicast source MAC were getting dropped under some circumstances in hardware.

It took quite a deal of an effort of us and cisco to explain the customer that this is not a bug, but a result of the hardware becoming more strict as RFC1812 and related dictate (which was intentional by Cisco in this case, as an initiative to cleanup behaviour of their boxen in such corner situations). And it took even more effort to convice the customer to move to proper loadbalancing methods, such as an ACE.

Clearly a Microsoft way of doing things - let's bend the standard, let it spread, and then let the end users beat those who do comply.

--

deejay