[c-nsp] Software Download Enhancements

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Nov 16 03:08:36 EST 2010

On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 08:27:09 am Michael Loftis
wrote:

> Ah, sort of.  With Juniper there's basically there's one
> image for each major product category -- more or less.
> So the J series has an image, the M/T another.  The MX
> has it's image,...

Ummh, not quite:

	- the M/MX/T all share the same image.

> and last I knew there's two for the EX
> series (one for like the EX2200s and another for the
> EX8K boxen)...

Not anymore - at the point where the EX-series arrived on
the scene, based on currently supported software which is
JUNOS 9.3, the all EX platforms shared a single image (but
still separate from that used by the M/MX/T).

This changed in 9.4, where the EX3200, EX4200 and EX8200
each got their own image.

With 10.1, the EX2200 was added, with its own image too.

With 10.2, the EX4500 was added, with its own image too.

> There's even more consistency in
> interface naming/numbering (IMO anyway, I've heard
> others take a dislike to it!)

I believe this is where the "a single OS" mantra could still
apply. The core interface is generally the same across all
platforms, although there are now a few platform-specific
differences. Not that hard to keep track of, but worth
taking note of all the same.

What I do like with JUNOS is what Cisco have done with IOS
XR (and I hope they don't change that) - just two feature
sets, one with SSH, and another without.

Cheers,

Mark.