[c-nsp] GLC-LH-SM vs SFP-GE-L

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Nov 19 07:55:36 EST 2010

On Friday, November 19, 2010 05:51:27 pm sthaug at nethelp.no
wrote:

> We use our MX boxes purely as routers and are very happy
> with them in that role.

Juniper, just so they can play in a larger space in your
network, will even propose that you use the MX as a core
switch. While it is feasible (it understands pure Layer 2
switching) and has the older DPC-X cards that don't support
IP, it really is a huge waste to use your MX as a switch.

Same applies to Cisco proposing the ASR9000 as a switch.
Why?

The Cisco 6500/Nexus 7000 and Juniper EX8200 makes better
sense for this.

Mark.