[c-nsp] More than 128M CF on C1800 router?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Nov 25 11:21:31 EST 2010

Nick Hilliard wrote:
> So, C1800 series routers nominally support a maximum of 128M external
> flash (CF). Will 256M flash cards work at all, or will they do something
> silly like refusing to boot?
>
> 128M CF cards have become less easy to get these days, and I'm not
> inclined to pay a discounted $700 for the cisco branded part.
>
> Nick

Only ever had a problem with CF when remote hands went to local camera
store and got some type II or class II flash. Router refused to work for
exactly as long as it was inserted.

So far for me, ATA flash support has always meant working fine with run
of the mill CF or PC flash cards ranging from 48mb - 2gb.

That includes hot insert. I suggest insertion and then formatting it on
the target platform, then taking it back out, attach it to your pc, copy
the preferred IOS image FIRST so that it is the first file on the flash,
then copy whatever else.

On the 1gb cards, that usually means about a dozen various IOS for
whatever purpose they may be necessary + whatever was on the original +
handy utilities like putty,tftpd and the like.

(Windows is allergic to files named 128MB.sdf)

I also commonly use archive to keep a number of config versions local on
the flash.

Joe