[c-nsp] DS3 card serial bounces

Todd Shipway todd at newfrontierssolutions.com
Thu Nov 25 12:12:14 EST 2010

I've got a very strange issue going on that I can't seem to track down.

Hardware details....
7513 router
VIP4-80
single multi-channel DS3 card on the VIP4-80.
All 28 channels are split into full T1's
(Router has multiple VIP4-80 and channelized DS3 cards that work perfect.)

Problem is that at random times throughout the day all 28 serial interfaces go down for about 2-15 minutes then come back up.  The controller (DS3) interface does not bounce at all.  Only the serial interfaces.  All interfaces bounce at the same time.

I've replaced the VIP card, the DS3 card and tried different slots in the 7513.  I get the same results no matter what I try.  I've even replaced the DS3 cables feeding the card.  This specific DS3 is fed from a 15454 DS3XM card.  All other DS3's from this 15454 run fine.  I've also moved the DS3 to a different card in the 454 and also attempted to moved these serial interfaces to an OC12 on the 454.  Still see the same results on the 7513.

Has anyone experienced this or have any tips on debugging this situation?

Thanks in advance,
Todd