[c-nsp] Subrate speed on GigE requiring QoS / Policer configuration

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Oct 5 23:20:33 EDT 2010

Do you really need he qos configuration to do anything when there's no congestion?  In other words if you're only using 5m or so and everything is ok what would you want the qos to do there?  If you make af and ef priority queues you can ensure that traffic is given priority and also that it does not starve other flows.  The one caveat is that when here's no congestion they still will use more than 2m each.  I'm no qos expert but i know can assign drop probability so that certain traffic is dropped at a higher rate, but even that is only done during times of congestion.  I'm not sure if you need you policy when there's no congestion.  Unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone