[c-nsp] Subrate speed on GigE requiring QoS / Policer configuration

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 22:49:16 EDT 2010

I'm struggling to come up with a solution for my requirement.. Essentially
we are building a lab using GRE to link two sites over our enterprise
network. As this is a lab we want to limit the bandwidth that comes out of
the LAB to 15megabits, but using GigE for the physical connection on an
asr1k. Essentially my first thought was implement a policer on the egress
interface limiting the maximum aggregate traffic to 15Mb, then qos scheduler
on the tunnel interface or egress GigE. I need to prioritize certain traffic
leaving the lab so I also want to use a scheduler to make sure that the
voice traffic has priority and has a 2Mb of traffic for example.

I want to limit my EF traffic to 2Mb, AF to 2Mb, NC to 500Kb and best effort
to 10.5Mb under signs of congestion within that 15Mb CIR. My challenge is
that QoS only kicks in under signs of congestion, how would you allow the
dynamic bandwidth allocation when the egress interface is really a GigE?

Anyone have a good configuration that would fit my needs?

Thanks

Chris