[c-nsp] Need help with setting up ip multicast routing...correction

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Fri Oct 8 15:46:25 EDT 2010

The line below reading "non-multicast traffic" should be "non-multicast traffic seems to be OK between the vlans"

Thanks!

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology
Dayton Public Schools
115 S. Ludlow St.
Dayton, OH 45402

Office (937) 542-3149
Cell (937) 673-6779
Direct Connect: 137*131747*8
Email spfister at dps.k12.oh.us

>>> "Steven Pfister" <SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us> 10/8/2010 3:39 PM >>>

We've got a client who needs to set up multicast routing between two sites (and between two vlans) in order for some video encoders at remote sites to find servers at the central site. I've never had experience with this. The setup looks something like:

encoders -> Cisco 4506 -> (CSME) -> Cisco 4510 -> Cisco 8540 -> Cisco 3560 -> servers

The Cisco 4506 is the default gateway for the remote site vlan, let's call it vlan 22.
The Cisco 4510 is the default gateway for the central site vlan, let's call it vlan 33

Also factoring into this, a previous (before my time here) set up of ip multicasting in sparse mode was done using other remote sites using 3640 routers with the 8540 as the RP. I don't know what it was intended for, or if it was ever successfully configured, but I'm not sure it's in use any more.

Here's what's been done so far... the Cisco 4506 now has:

ip multicast-routing
ip pim rp-address 10.99.99.1   [the address of the 8540]
interface Vlan22
   ip pim sparse-dense-mode  [the video encoder vendor recomended this]
 [there's also a ip helper-address pointing to a local server for dhcp]

The 4510 has:

ip multicast-routing
ip pim rp-address 10.99.99.1
interface Vlan33
   ip pim sparse-dense-mode

Observations:
- non-multicast traffic
- the encoders never see the servers
- "show ip pim neighbor" shows no results (just headers)
- "show ip multi int vlan33" on the central site shows a large and growing number of multicast in packets, but zero out packets. Same results for vlan22 on the remote site.

Could the problem be igmp packets not getting exchanged? Like I said, I've never set up ip multicast routing before.

Email spfister at dps.k12.oh.us