[c-nsp] to shape or not to shape

Roger Wiklund copse at xy.org
Sat Oct 9 15:42:56 EDT 2010

> Buffers are not infinite, so you might still see tail drops.

Indeed, but I'm thinking if I only apply the "qos" policy-map, I
switch from fifo to CBWFQ with multiple software queues, and buffers.

If I on top of that do shaping, would I not utilize yet another
buffer? I.E. the shaping buffer.

>From Cisco:

shape max-buffers

To specify the maximum number of buffers allowed on shaping queues,
use the shape max-buffers class-map configuration command. To remove
the maximum number of buffers, use the no form of this command.
Defaults

The default setting is 1000 buffers.

It is a bit confusing, as we shape a 1984 to 1984. If we shape we uses
the shaping buffers, it will hold the packets in the buffer until the
next Tc. After that It can be sent, will it then utilize the interface
buffers if it cant be sent right away?

Now I'm even more confused ... :)