[c-nsp] to shape or not to shape

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Sat Oct 9 16:13:06 EDT 2010

Roger,

This is a sub rate link, as you use a physical rate of 10Mbps with a
downstream service of 5Mbps - This means that somewhere down the link
(on the SP network) they would be dropping anything above 5Mbps.

Your router does not have any way (except shaping) to know that there is
a limit for 5Mbps, and it would be empting anything queued in its egress
buffers at a rate of 10Mbps, which would be then dropped by the
downstream rate limit at 5Mbps.

If you want to be able to control which traffic is dropped or
prioritized in case you have bursts or an overload (for example someone
uploading a file, while someone else running a VOIP call) you must
perform the shaping so that your router would know that it must release
packets to the line at a rate not higher than 5Mbps. The result would be
that any drops (if any) would be done by your router, which is aware of
the child QOS policy, and not on the SP side, which has a flat drop
policy for anything above 5Mbps.

You need to remember that IP traffic is very bursty, and even if on
average (usually 5 minute average, or even 30 seconds average) you see
only <5Mbps of upstream traffic, it down not mean that on a sub-second
level you do not have full line rate bursts (you have them for sure...)

Arie