[c-nsp] to shape or not to shape

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Sat Oct 9 18:20:14 EDT 2010

Yes you are correct, shaping will keep packets from being dropped until the
queues are full.  However, once the queues are full there is nothing else
for the router to do but tail drop.  This is true with or without shaping.
 Also, "adding" buffers does not add more memory to be used to queue
packets.  Instead it partitions the available memory further to allow more
levels of service.  The amount of buffer memory available to a platform is
finite.  When it is full the left over packets are discarded no matter what
kind of QOS is configured.