[c-nsp] to shape or not to shape

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Oct 9 18:48:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> Yeah that's what I belive also. This whole thing started with a person
> at my work telling me that we should shape a 1984 to 1984 just to
> delay packets instead of tail dropping.

I don't get it. Tail dropping is what you do when the queue is full,
you're delaying a lot of packets and you don't want to fill the queue any
more. Saying "we should delay packets instead of tail dropping" just
doesn't make any sense to me.

Tail dropping is what you do in a queue/buffer when it's full. It happens
whatever type of queue/buffer you're talking about. FIFO is one queue per
interface, CBWFQ has multiple. At some time if you try to push enough
traffic thru, the buffers will fill up and you'll drop packets.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se