[c-nsp] SXI4a

Abello, Vinny Vinny_Abello at dell.com
Wed Oct 13 23:27:40 EDT 2010

On Oct 8, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Jay Ford wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Dan Holme wrote:
>> Some time has passed; can anybody elaborate on their experiences with
>> SXI4/SXI4a?
>
> I've been running the advanced IP services SSH WAN flavor of 12.2(33)SXI4a on
> my campus core boxes (6500, sup720-3bxl, 67xx cards, some DFCs) for over a
> month with good results.  We do IS-IS, a little OSPF, some sheltered BGP, &
> multicast, all for IPv4 & IPv6, in addition to various layer-2 stuff.  It
> seems to have fixed an apparent scheduler bug we had in 12.2(33)SXI1 which
> would cause brief but disruptive CPU lock-ups.  It doesn't seem to have
> broken anything for us.

After about a month of testing, we have several 6506's and 6506-E's with dual Sup720-3BXL's in SSO, running 12.2(3)SXI4a Advanced IP Services (monolithic) doing IS-IS, NSF, BGP, LDP, BFD, MPLS TE, and IPv6 among other things currently in production. We haven't run into any bad experiences thus far. It has fixed a couple of minor odd issues we had with much older trains. Two of the boxes have two complete copies of the v4 routing table via direct eBGP peers, and another has a total of about 100 BGP peers (mix of iBGP and eBGP IPv4 and IPv6). Do your own testing of course. :)

-Vinny