[c-nsp] Ping TO Gateway is High Latency, Ping THROUGH Gateway is Normal Latency

Mack O'Brian mackobrian40 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:10:17 EDT 2010

When you ping to the router it has to go to the CPU for processing and
depending upon how busy the router is you will get lower priority on the
pings. But if you ping through the router to some where else then that is a
forwarding plane and it may be hardware switched which will not be punted to
the cpu. It seems your cpu is busy.