[c-nsp] IPv6 ND cache via SNMP

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 18 20:03:01 EDT 2010

Is anyone out there polling the IPv6 neighbor discovery cache via SNMP?
  I am mainly interested in getting the cache from 6500s running SXI4a
on the VS-720-10GE-3C.  In earlier IOS versions (on different platforms,
I believe), this was done using the interim CISCO-IETF-IP-MIB
(specifically cInetNetToMediaTable), but it seems as though this should
all have been merged into the new RFC 4293-compliant IP-MIB.  However,
with ip.ipNetToPhysicalTable, I get 'no such object'.
ipv6NetToMediaTable (part of the IPV6-MIB) works great on JunOS, but not
on cisco (also 'no such object').  It's not clear from the MIB locater
if this is even supported in SXI4a--looks like not.  Are we really still
that far from IPv4/IPv6 feature parity?

Currently what I am doing is scraping "show ipv6 neighbor" via RANCID
and shoving it into a flat file for processing and insertion into a SQL
DB.  But...yuck!  This would be a lot cleaner with SNMP--and far fewer
moving parts.  One perl script could easily poll and push into SQL all
at once.

If anyone has further insights, or working OIDs on this platform, let me
know.

michael