[c-nsp] Bug CSCso74996

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Mon Oct 25 12:44:41 EDT 2010

Hello group,

We have a customer that is migrating from WIC-1ADSL to HWIC-1ADSL-M and now
the routers are complaining. The bug seems this one:

++++++++++++++++++++++
CSCso74996 Bug Details

%SYS-4-CHUNKMALLOCFAIL: Could not allocate chunks for pak subblock c

Symptoms: A "%SYS-4-CHUNKMALLOCFAIL" error message is seen. The cause field
of the message states "Not a dynamic chunk".

Conditions: The symptom is observed in conditions where an application
depends heavily on chunks.

Workaround: There is no workaround.

Further Problem Description: This issue will not affect the
working/operation of the system although it may cause some performance slow
down. The message "%SYS-4-CHUNKMALLOCFAIL" with cause field being "Not a
dynamic chunk" shows the problem is occuring. An error message
"%SYS-4-CHUNKMALLOCFAIL" with a cause field other than "Not a dynamic
chunk", is unrelated to this issue.

The routers are 2811 running 12.4(15)T1. It seems the fix was only
integrated on 12.4M, not on 12.4T. Anyone has seen this issue and knows the
real impact of it ?

Yes, I can open a TAC case but I want to avoid it. Those that know what
Shared Support is will understand :)

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)