[c-nsp] BGP support on the new ASA5585-X

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Fri Oct 29 15:46:03 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:19 PM, <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

> > > At this moment we know that ASA5585-X does not support BGP.
> >
> > I'm sure it doesn't.  Routers are routers, firewalls are firewalls.
>
> There are several firewall platforms that support BGP - and this can
> actually be quite useful. Fortigate is one of them.

Juniper firewalls have supported this for years.  It would be nice to have
this from cisco.  I know we have chosen juniper in the past just because
ASA's and PIX's do not support BGP.  The SRX is sort of a combination of
routing/switching and firewalling, although there are some limits to what
features you can be used in which modes.  Give the popularity of ethernet
and mpls connections it is actually common to want to do BGP at your front
door.