[c-nsp] BGP support on the new ASA5585-X

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Oct 29 15:54:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 07:14:58PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 29/10/2010 18:24, srg wrote:
> >At this moment we know that ASA5585-X does not support BGP.
>
> I'm sure it doesn't.  Routers are routers, firewalls are firewalls.

Nick, sometimes you're just too narrow-minded :-)

I've had a few cases in the past where the ability of Juniper SSGs to
speak BGP was extremely helpful.  (Clusters distributed to two different
locations in the same AS, the active node announcing its existance via
BGP, and firewalls in front of the nodes - no layer2 path between nodes,
so traditional failover just doesn't work).

BGP is actually fairly well-suited for firewall things - very powerful
policy controls, etc.

> http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/1033363934_dc44fb5b8f_z.jpg

It has no pony, so it's not useful.

gert