[c-nsp] BGP support on the new ASA5585-X

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Sat Oct 30 21:28:08 EDT 2010

On 30/10/2010, at 5:19 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> I'm sure it doesn't.  Routers are routers, firewalls are firewalls.
>
> There are several firewall platforms that support BGP - and this can
> actually be quite useful. Fortigate is one of them.

Juniper supports it too in both Junos and ScreenOS variants of their firewall platforms.  Very handy for people that want to run iBGP to the edge device (and some of your edge devices happen to be firewalls).  So in a hosting environment, "redist static and connected" on your firewalls into iBGP just works.

The PIX has been running OSPF for a looooong time.  I have never understood why they haven't added BGP to the feature set.  It would certainly make life easier.

David