[c-nsp] 7200VXR upgrade

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Wed Sep 1 05:13:35 EDT 2010

On 8/31/10 3:20 PM, Adam Greene wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> I have a customer with a 7204VXR / NPE300 and 256MB DRAM and the
> following cards/interfaces:
> -    C7200-IO-FE-MII/RJ45=
> -    PA-8T-V35= (only three serial interfaces in use)
> -    PA-FE-TX
> -    PA-FE-TX (spare)
> -    PA-1GE=
>
> It currently supports nine BGP sessions (all but one is iBGP) for a
> total of only about 100 routes.
>
> It does about 50Mbps / 25Mbps throughput (~20mpps) on average to a
> single upstream Internet provider which provides nothing more than a
> default route. The CPU generally runs at about 45%, RAM at 10%.

20mpps?  You mean 20kpps right?

> The customer is planning to add a second 50Mbps link to another Internet
> provider. At this point it's only being considered a backup link, but
> it's possible they may decide to accept full routes in the future and
> route in/out both links.
>
> Frankly I think that they could upgrade to an NPE400 and keep the RAM as
> is and still be OK, as long as they don't get the BGP full routes. If
> they get the full routes from both providers, what do you think ...
> NPE-G1 and 1GB RAM?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

512M NPE-400 you be the minimum, but watch the points use.  A full
table, maybe 2 will a little small prefix filtering.  Watch out for
queue drops and other issues exceeding 100/50 Mbps, specially if running
alot of CAR statements or trying to run QoS.  (Don't even think of PBR
or any real ACLs, keep to optimal (minimal) configs and minimal feature
use.)

A 512M or 1G NPE-G1 will handle about twice the traffic IMHO and would
be a decent choice, but plan on scrapping the IO card and PA-1G, use the
onboard GigE ports.

Beyond that level start thinking ASR or better yet a small M series by
vendor J.