[c-nsp] Anyone running s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Sep 2 09:01:21 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 08:04 +0200, Jens S Andersen wrote:
> The router is doing layer2 and 3. (OSPF, HSRP, PVST)
> The router is totally unresponsive, even after the loop is broken (by
> shutting an interface on the neighbour-router).
> Power off helps.....

Have you tried console access at this time? Is it unresponsive too?

You might be able to see something interesting from the files called
"sea_log.dat" and "sea_console.dat", placed on sup-bootdisk: or similar.
They're console output dumped to a file. Beware that the file is
zero-padded to 32 MB.

The primary console is sea_console.dat. To convert to something
readable, remove all non-printable characters:

$ perl -pe 's/[^[:print:][:space:]]//g;' < sea_console.dat > console.txt

> Logging on to the other routers is difficult/impossible because they
> are overloaded. Would a scheuler allocate make any difference here?

Maybe, but AFAIK it's unwise to tamper too much with that on a
hardware/distributed platform like the C6k.

> All I can see in the logfiles is host/address-flapping and
> storm-control kicking in.

That could be a loop somewhere else in the network. With storm-control
and rate-limiters other devices (like this one) shouldn't topple.

Can you provoke this to happen? I.e. do you know (with some certainty)
what the exact reason is?

--
Peter