[c-nsp] Anyone running s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a?

Jens S Andersen jsa at aua.auc.dk
Fri Sep 3 04:57:23 EDT 2010

>On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 08:04 +0200, Jens S Andersen wrote:
>> The router is doing layer2 and 3. (OSPF, HSRP, PVST)
>> The router is totally unresponsive, even after the loop is broken (by
>> shutting an interface on the neighbour-router).
>> Power off helps.....

>Have you tried console access at this time? Is it unresponsive too?

Totally unresponsive.

Most of the LEDs were red, so the cpu was really busy.

>You might be able to see something interesting from the files called
>"sea_log.dat" and "sea_console.dat", placed on sup-bootdisk: or similar.
>They're console output dumped to a file. Beware that the file is
>zero-padded to 32 MB.

>The primary console is sea_console.dat. To convert to something
>readable, remove all non-printable characters:

>$ perl -pe 's/[^[:print:][:space:]]//g;' < sea_console.dat > console.txt

Nothing in either logfile. But very useful information. Thanks.

>> Logging on to the other routers is difficult/impossible because they
>> are overloaded. Would a scheuler allocate make any difference here?

>Maybe, but AFAIK it's unwise to tamper too much with that on a
>hardware/distributed platform like the C6k.

>> All I can see in the logfiles is host/address-flapping and
>> storm-control kicking in.

>That could be a loop somewhere else in the network. With storm-control
>and rate-limiters other devices (like this one) shouldn't topple.

>Can you provoke this to happen? I.e. do you know (with some certainty)
>what the exact reason is?

I don't think there actually was a loop. After the first melt-down I removed
all the looping vlans but one. This last vlan har very limited range.

-Jens

Jens S Andersen                 Email:  jsa at adm.aau.dk
Aalborg University              Telf:   9940 9464
Selma Lagerlöfs Vej 300, 4.2.59 Fax:    9940 7593
9220 Aalborg
Denmark