[c-nsp] DNS Naming conventions for Switches

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Sep 2 14:02:52 EDT 2010

What I've found works best (especially for NMS like OpenView, Nagios, etc) is to setup a loopback interface. Setup DNS with a A record for the loopback interface as the "One True Name(tm)". Then setup all reverse PTR records for all interfaces to be the same as the forward for the loopback. Then if I need to address individual interfaces I setup a forward A record for those, but leave the PTR going back to the loopback name.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139