[c-nsp] DNS Naming conventions for Switches

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Sep 2 15:15:57 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Andrew Miehs wrote:

> Thanks for both the answers so far.
>
> My biggest issue however is with the management/ loopback interface.
>
> Does everyone just use a cname for the switch/ router name - and the reverse
> lookup for this address is then the 'real' interface name?

What I do here, and what I've seen done elsewhere is to make the DNS name
for the primary loopback address be something like device.sub.domain.com.
If you have other loopbacks for other reasons, then they could become
lo1.device.sub.domain.com, l02.device...  Things like syslog messages,
SNMP traps, Netflow exports, etc, are sourced from that primary loopback
address where possible.

As always... ymmv.

As another poster mentioned, discussions about naming conventions can
often get religious, but when you get down to the heart of it, there are
no wrong answers.

I've designed conventions in the past, and I've generally tried to make
them useful to the people who actually need to use them on a regular basis
(NOC, network engineers, field techs, etc), but it's up to you to come up
with something that is right for your network.

jms