[c-nsp] DNS Naming conventions for Switches

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Sep 2 15:19:09 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Andrew Miehs wrote:

> Thanks for both the answers so far.
>
> My biggest issue however is with the management/ loopback interface.
>
> Does everyone just use a cname for the switch/ router name - and the reverse
> lookup for this address is then the 'real' interface name?

To add to my last post, for things that don't always have a loopback
interface, like layer 2 switches, we normally just give the address in the
management VLAN the name "switch.sub.domain.com" rather than using CNAMEs.

That's just what I've found to work well for us, and I won't say that what
we do here is any better or worse than what others do :)

jms