[c-nsp] DNS Naming conventions for Switches

Kameron Gasso kameron-lists at gasso.org
Thu Sep 2 17:11:29 EDT 2010

On 09/02/2010 10:05 AM, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> My biggest issue however is with the management/ loopback interface.
>
> Does everyone just use a cname for the switch/ router name - and the reverse
> lookup for this address is then the 'real' interface name?

For PTR records, I generally stick to the using abbreviated interface
names as mentioned earlier - such as 'gi2-1.grps-edge-2.wibble.' or
'pos4-0.dnvr-edge-1.blort.'

Under the guise of "managing my priorities" (read: "laziness"), I don't
generally create A records to match for interface IPs -- I've honestly
never found a practical use for it.  Our NMS connects by IP, I don't
connect to those addresses frequently enough to warrant doing so by
name, and I've yet to see a traceroute implementation that cares about
matching forward/reverse.

For the router/switch hostname, I generally just drop an "A" record to
the management/loopback interface IP of the router/switch and stick to
my standard of the reverse having the "real" interface name in it, such as:

dnvr-edge-1.blort has address 10.13.37.254
254.37.13.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer lo0.dnvr-edge-1.blort.

Cheers,
Kameron Gasso | kameron at gasso.org