[c-nsp] Customers routers

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:37:16 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 4 September 2010 11:07, Mohammad Khalil <eng_mssk at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi all
>
> we use OSPF to transport customers routers into our backbone , i read in one of Cisco presentations that its best to use BGP for the same purpose

It really depends on what you're doing. For small installations with a
few customers and a few routers, no full BGP tables etc - I do not
believe there is a lot of harm in using OSPF alone. For bigger setups
- you have either the choice of building full-scale BGP network
(either full mesh or using router-servers) or going further and moving
to MPLS and L3VPNs. Definitely using BGP is more scalable and more
future proof long term, but there isn't anything that you could call
'best design' that fits all the networks.

kind regards
Pshem