[c-nsp] Customers routers

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Sep 3 19:49:34 EDT 2010

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Mohammad Khalil wrote:

> we use OSPF to transport customers routers into our backbone , i read in
> one of Cisco presentations that its best to use BGP for the same purpose

One reason not to use OSPF is control.  By customers routers, I assume you
mean CPE which you maintain/admin.  If you use OSPF and a smart customer
does password-recovery and breaks into their router and makes changes,
they can inject routes into your network.  OSPF has very little in the way
of route filtering.  With BGP, you would have a prefix filter on your end
of the session that prevents CPE from injecting unexpected routes into
your network.  With BGP, it's also much easier to control which routes get
advertised to each CPE.  They probably only need a default route in most
cases.