[c-nsp] Customers routers

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Sep 3 20:11:40 EDT 2010

On 04/09/2010 00:07, Mohammad Khalil wrote:
> we use OSPF to transport customers routers into our backbone , i read in
> one of Cisco presentations that its best to use BGP for the same purpose

This is true, yes.  OSPF is a link state protocol, the purpose of which is
to instruct your interior network on its complete connectivity state.

The purpose of BGP, on the other hand, is to enable policy routing.  So
it's designed from the ground up to ensure that you can easily do things
like prefix filtering.

For customer connectivity requirements, you need a policy routing protocol,
not an interior gateway protocol.

Nick