[c-nsp] QoS on ingress

Brian Landers brian at bluecoat93.org
Sat Sep 11 13:52:51 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM, danger will <myniuid at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the great explanation.
> In my test basically i've created an artificial congestion using UDP
> because the effect of the congestion was mostly felt with UDP so as you
> confirmed this method is not effective for UDP based congestions but if we
> were to classify and mark and leverage the queuing provided by the mpls
> provider, UDP based congestions wouldn't be a problem and voip would be
> protected, even if the bandwidth for several sites connected to the mpls
> cloud is different  right ?

If you're in an MPLS environment, you should absolutely be making use of the
proper markings to stick your VOIP traffic in a dedicated strict priority
queue on the PE egress interface.  The remote ingress queuing stuff is
designe for things like branch offices and teleworkers connected via VPN or
some other case where you don't have vendor-provided QoS to manage the
inbound flows.

B*

--
Brian C Landers