[c-nsp] ASIC to switch port mapping

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Sep 13 06:55:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:06:48AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 13/09/2010 10:44, Gert Doering wrote:
> >(spreading out the packets), while most other streaming software creates
> >somewhat massive wirespeed bursts, and then waits some milliseconds, and
> >then generates a new wirespeed burst.
>
> ew, that is pretty horrible :-(

Trade-off between server load ("send out as many packets as can be
stuffed into the hardware in one go") and network load ("smooth out
stuff, but have more context switches, interrupts, ... etc. in the
server").

Now if I had more time :-) it might be worth investigating the (Linux)
streaming server software used, whether it can be changed to invest a bit
more CPU to better smooth out the packets...  OTOH, the kernel might
just wreck this, and smear it all togehter again.  (*Now* we really get
even more off-topic for c-nsp than usual)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de