[c-nsp] ASIC to switch port mapping

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:09:56 EDT 2010

Interesting enough, yesterday James Ventre posted a note where he
found at least some minimal info about the 2960/3560/3750 buffer
amount: http://networking.ventrefamily.com/2010/09/3560ge-and-3750ge-buffers.html

Also, I have to say I have exactly the same experience as Gert - IPTV
streaming box connected via 1Gbps, generating about 65Mbps, that no
Cisco "Enterprise level switch" (aka 2960/3560/3750 or even ME3400)
was able to forward to a 100Mbps port without output drops. When we
sniffed it we found that in a given discrete period of 1 second, the
streaming box is absolutely idle for the first 900 ms, and then
quickly pushes 80Megs in the last 100 ms.

My guess is that due to the functionality of the MPEG box, it needs to
gather some uncompressed picture frames first, and only after that it
is able to produce the MPEG output....which makes it hurry too much :)

-pavel