[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Tue Sep 14 09:00:01 EDT 2010

[Comments in-line]

Software
> Downloads
>

> Cisco has recently reviewed its download processes and will only be
> providing anonymous access for software in the future via ftp.cisco.com.
[...]
> This is a courtesy notice informing you that any software requiring
login
> or contract access will no longer be available for download directly
from
> ftp.cisco.com beginning early October 2010.

Dear Cisco Manager:

This is a poor decision and should be reconsidered; Cisco should be
expanding, not reducing FTP access.  One should be able to login via ftp
with their CCO ID/password and download full encryption software.  If
business needs dictate, then via FTP over SSL or a similar secure,
ftp-like protocol such as sftp (part of ssh).

The Cisco website is almost unusably slow and continues to be poorly
organized. It fails to be a good alternative to ftp access.  Often, the
site corrupts its cookies and the user needs to manually delete all
cisco.com cookies to be able to use various features of the site (such as
software download).  This occurs across all browsers and has been
happening FOR YEARS.  I recognize the challenge of designing and running a
very large and complex website.  Somehow though, other very large
companies with very large websites are able to provide a tolerable web
experience.  Cisco has deeper pockets than most; make it work!

> You can use the Software Download
> <http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/download/index.html>  area on Cisco.com
> to download all software going forward.

This feature of the Cisco website has been somewhat improved since it was
originally rolled out. However it is still slow and very cumbersome to
use. On the other hand, there is the FTP access to software which is
typically fast and has little to complain about, other than the
unavailability of software with encryption capability.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jason Gurtz