[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Tue Sep 14 09:36:07 EDT 2010

>> ftp.cisco.com beginning early October 2010.
>
> Dear Cisco Manager:
>
> This is a poor decision and should be reconsidered; Cisco should be
> expanding, not reducing FTP access.  One should be able to login via ftp
> with their CCO ID/password and download full encryption software.  If
> business needs dictate, then via FTP over SSL or a similar secure,
> ftp-like protocol such as sftp (part of ssh).

As much as I disagree with the decision, I can understand that they may
have a complex set of processes and audit requirements behind this (the
site), i.e having users click "I Agree" before every download (and not
making this implicit through downloading which I find odd)

I don't believe these are easily enforceable via (s)FTP, though I'm sure
there is a good middle ground here which through lack of will on Cisco's
part has not been explored.

David.

--

David Freedman