[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Sep 14 15:02:35 EDT 2010

On (2010-09-14 09:00 -0400), Jason Gurtz wrote:

> > Cisco has recently reviewed its download processes and will only be
> > providing anonymous access for software in the future via ftp.cisco.com.
> [...]
> > This is a courtesy notice informing you that any software requiring
> login
> > or contract access will no longer be available for download directly
> from
> > ftp.cisco.com beginning early October 2010.

This makes me sad panda. I use FTP access to keep sqlite database of when
new IOS was released, to which platforms and when was it removed. Including
email alerts when new releases come available.

I'd be perfectly happy to have reliable RSS feed for new and removed IOS
releases. Call me pessimist but even if such feed would surface, there is
good chance somehow it would be implemented in a way that guarantees that
it won't accurately reflect reality.

--
  ++ytti