[c-nsp] Conditional advertise-map

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Sep 15 14:33:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 19:23 +0100, Heath Jones wrote:
> Carrier grade equipment means nothing more than heavy metal boxes
> containing fast interfaces,
[...]

I didn't reveal what I imply by "carrier grade", and I certainly would
not imply "stable" or "works as advertised" as being natural
candidates. :-)

By "carrier grade" I meant equipment performing "hardware" forwarding,
thus giving certain guaranteed limits for processing delay.

I'm not sure "carrier grade" is that good a term though, hence the
quotation marks. I don't work at a carrier or even an ISP. We're just an
enterprise, government healthcare in DK. We still need and use "hardware
forwarding" devices though.

> I'd love to hear some technical reasons why this cannot / is not /
> will not be done. I think its a good idea, clearly a number of people
> have had it.

To quote Lincoln Dale from Cisco: "it gets nondeterministic very very
quickly and does not scale from a control plane perspective.". Take a
look at

http://www.mail-archive.com/cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg29079.html

--
Peter