[c-nsp] Cisco 3750G-24TS for iSCSI Storage Aggregator

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Sep 16 04:53:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 09:23 +0100, Matthew Melbourne wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of using a Catalyst 3750 stack (not -E
> or -X) as a storage aggregator for iSCSI storage controllers? Given
> the bursty nature of iSCSI traffic, I am wondering whether the buffer
> architecture of this platform is sufficient to support this traffic?

AFAIK the -E and -X models have the same small amount of buffers as the
-G models.

We're using stacked -E models (WS-C3750E-24TD) for iSCSI aggregation,
and though there are a certain non-small amount of drops it does seem to
work out okay.

Our iSCSI network currently consists of four stacks, one having four
members and the rest having two. They connected in a ring with 10G
interfaces. Everything is local to one datacenter.

My guess is that you would be okay-ish with the 3750G. The 4948 would
probably be a better platform. And $some_other_vendor might be even
better yet. :-)

--
Peter