[c-nsp] Unexplainable packet loss

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 06:28:55 EDT 2010

Hi

Firstly, when you say packet loss, what are you referring to? Is it just the
icmp traffic, or are customers reporting faults with non icmp traffic or...?
Is the 'internet gateway' the 7609 pictured on the diagram?

Its pretty unlikely, but worth checking that there are no duplicate mac
addresses on the network. A duplicate (of 7609 on mdf side) could cause
these symptoms.
You could swap out the RAD with your own device for testing..

I don't think that standard icmp tests will identify the problem though. If
what the engineer said is true, then you really need to be pushing some
traffic down to see it. (load related issue)
'Another engineer tells me that when our customers traffic is removed from
the picture the packet loss goes away'

The first thing though - what is the packet loss?

Cheers