[c-nsp] Unexplainable packet loss

ML ml at kenweb.org
Sat Sep 18 20:36:24 EDT 2010

  On 9/18/2010 6:28 AM, Heath Jones wrote:
> Hi
> Firstly, when you say packet loss, what are you referring to? Is it
> just the icmp traffic, or are customers reporting faults with non icmp
> traffic or...?
> Is the 'internet gateway' the 7609 pictured on the diagram?
> Its pretty unlikely, but worth checking that there are no duplicate
> mac addresses on the network. A duplicate (of 7609 on mdf side) could
> cause these symptoms.
> You could swap out the RAD with your own device for testing..
> I don't think that standard icmp tests will identify the problem
> though. If what the engineer said is true, then you really need to be
> pushing some traffic down to see it. (load related issue)
> 'Another engineer tells me that when our customers traffic is removed
> from the picture the packet loss goes away'
> The first thing though - what is the packet loss?

The customer is reporting a problem. They have an outside IT service
that monitors a firewall/VPN solution for them.
We never went into detail about what kind of packetloss they are seeing
since the problem appears to be on our side/our upstream.

Yes the 'internet gateway' is the 7609.  The 7609 is the device with the
L3 interface we use as a default route.
ICMP packetloss anywhere from 1-5% when a set of 1000 pings are sent
from MDF to 7609 L3 interface.