[c-nsp] ASR1000 Routes on ESP2.5 ESP5

David Blundell cisco-nsp at blundellonline.com
Mon Sep 20 19:31:51 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am trying to find the number of routes that an ASR1002-F (embedded
ESP2.5) and an ASR-1002 with ESP5 can handle.

The Cisco data sheet [1] indicates that the ESP5 can handle "500,000
IPv4 and 125,000 IPv6 routes" but does not mention the ESP2.5.  A post
[2] by Arie Vayner from Cisco seems to contradict the data sheet "For
the 1002F, we use ESP2.5, which has, in general, 50% of the capacity
of a ESP5, hence the 500K IPv4 routes."  This makes me think that the
ESP5 should be able to handle 1,000,000 IPv4 routes.

I'm not sure if the ASR1000s will give a useful answer to "show
platform hardware capacity forwarding"  If they do and you have one of
either the ASR1002-F or ASR-1002 with ESP5, please will you let me
know the "L3 Forwarding Resources" results from that command?

Finally, is the resource split between IPv4 and IPv6 fixed or can more
resources be reserved for IPv4 routes?

Thanks in advance,

David

[1] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-450070.html