[c-nsp] ASR1000 Routes on ESP2.5 ESP5

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Tue Sep 21 03:06:35 EDT 2010

 On 21.09.2010 07:35, Lukasz Bromirski wrote:
> On 2010-09-21 01:31, David Blundell wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find the number of routes that an ASR1002-F (embedded
>> ESP2.5) and an ASR-1002 with ESP5 can handle.
>
> ASR1002-F and ASR-1002 can both handle 512k IPv4 prefixes maximum,
> 128k IPv6 prefixes maximum or a mix of these. The change in marking
> of the ESP from 5 to 2.5 comes from the fact that the useable
> bandwidth was halved, not the system capacity to store data.
Whoa ... and $C is marketing this box (1002F) as a provider box? I was
looking into junking a couple 7200VXR for them, but seeing our current
prefix total already well above 300k on the internet, I'm sort of
worried whether this is a good idea ... at least for the one that was
going to do our DECIX peering ... add to that VRF prefixes that may also
be present ... with the v4 exhaustion, I reckon the Internet will most
likely be at a combined 500k prefixes between v4 and v6 in a year ... is
$C really this short-sighted?

OTOH, the 1002F will of course still be a nice box in the IGP area in
the event it's not sufficient for the uplink ...

-gg